Homefed Friday: Beer + Honey Spareribs with Homemade BBQ Sauce
Planning a Labor Day celebration or big barbecue with the family? These fall off the bone ribs are so simple for your end of the summer party! A quick and easy marinade, simple dry rub and finish them off in the oven with a homemade sweet-heat BBQ sauce. If you're a visual learner, here's a TikTok to follow along with. Cheers!
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 cups of Island Lemonada Beer
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1 tbsp brown or stone-ground mustard
- Spareribs (2 racks)
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp black pepper
- 1 cup of water
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion minced
- 2 clove garlic minced
- ½ cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ cup of Island Lemonada Beer
- Remove membrane from ribs.
- Combine salt, beer, honey, dry mustard and brown mustard. Place ribs in a large zip lock bag, pour in beer mixture and marinate in the fridge for 24 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Remove the ribs from marinade, place on two large baking sheets and pat them dry. Season ribs with chili powder, salt and pepper. Pour ½ cup of water into the baking sheet and cover tightly with foil. Bake for 2 hours, until the meat nearly falls off the bone.
- While the ribs are in the oven, prepare the BBQ sauce. Heat the oil in a sauce pan over medium heat. Sauté the onion until soft (for about 5 minutes), add the garlic and stir to combine. Add the ketchup, brown sugar, Worcestershire, apple cider vinegar, cayenne, and ½ cup of Island Lemonada Beer. Simmer for 20 minutes, or until the sauce thickens. Remove from the heat, adjust salt if needed and let cool. Once cooled, transfer to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Once the ribs are cooked, remove from the oven and heat grill to medium high heat. Liberally brush the ribs with BBQ sauce. When the grill is hot, cook them for 4-5 minutes on each side until slightly charred. Remove from grill and add more sauce if desired. Serve immediately with extra sauce on the side.